Monday, August 22, 2011

Tuesday, August 22, 1933

Rita Mae stayed all night again last night. We went up to Nellie's in our car. We had fried chicken.

I'm No Angel Poster
I'm No Angel
Starring Mae West and Cary Grant
Directed by Wesley Ruggles
Written by Mae West
Released in 1933

The bold and beautiful Tira works as a dancing girl and lion tamer at a circus.
Out of an urgent need for money, she agrees to a risky new number: she'll
put her head into a lion's muzzle! With this attraction the circus makes it to New
York and Tira can pursue her favorite occupation: flirting with rich men and
and accepting expensive presents. Among the guys she searches for the love
 of her life. All she knows from a fortune-teller is that he'll be rich and have black hair.
When she finally meets him, she becomes a victim of intrigue.

I'm No Angel grossed $3 million during the worst year of the Depression,
a time when Hollywood was averaging $500,000 a film. The movie contains a
 number of West's most famous lines, among them:

"Marriage is a great institution -- but I'm not ready for an institution";

"I wrote the story myself. It's all about a girl who lost her reputation
and never missed it;"

"It's not the men in my life that count -- it's the life in my men;"

and "Men like women with a past -- because they hope history will
repeat itself."


No comments:

Post a Comment